The Sierra Nevada Ally is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit news organization that focuses on the environment/science, culture, and opinion writing relevant to northern Nevada, Tahoe Sierra, northeastern California, and parts of Oregon and Idaho. We use a variety of story-telling tools to include carefully edited text, audio, images, various data visualizations, and maps. As our name implies, the Ally works to be a unifying force meant to instill empathy and help lay the groundwork for meaningful change.
Signup to get an email when we publish a new story.
Who We Are
Employer Identification Number (EIN): 85-0858979
D-U-N-S Number: 117650763
Our newsroom address is PO Box 1351, Carson City Nevada, 775-720-0331
Accounting firm – Cory Wright, CPA
Legal representation – Luke Busby, Esq.
Our Editorial Independence and Donor Transparency Policy
- We subscribe to the standards of editorial independence adopted by the Institute for Nonprofit News
- We retain full authority over editorial content made in the interest of the communities we serve as journalists
- We maintain a firewall between news coverage and sources of all revenue
- We do not accept donations from political parties, elected officials, or candidates actively seeking public office
- Acceptance of financial support of any kind does not constitute implied or actual endorsement of donors or their products, services or opinions
- We cede no right of review or influence of editorial content, nor of unauthorized distribution of editorial content
- We do not accept donations from sources that present a conflict of interest with our work or compromise our independence
- As defined in our bylaws, we do not tolerate conflicts of interest by any of our representatives that benefit, might benefit, or be perceived to benefit the private interest of the person(s) affiliated with us
Who Funds the Ally?
Donors, grantors, and sponsors subscribe to the Sierra Nevada Ally’s goal “to publish informational content without bias or political agenda and illuminate important but underreported issues.”
We make public all donors, sponsors, and institutional givers with annual gifts of $5,000 or more. Our donors, grantors, and sponsors play no part in guiding our reporting content. We commit to full transparency.
Our thousands of small donors provide the major portion of our revenue base
For more information, contact Joe McCarthy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 775.720.0331.
City of Reno Arts & Culture CARES grant
(For the Ally & Double Scoop Arts reporting)
Solutions Journalism Network
Google News Initiative
SBA EIDL Grant
NCN chooses to partner with organizations with strong mission alignment that see their role as one of serving a community’s needs and are committed to building trusting and loyal relationships
- KNVC 95.1 fm, Carson City Community Radio
- Double Scoop – Arts in Nevada
- Institute for Nonprofit News
- LION Publishers – Local Independent Online News
- Public News Service
- Solutions Journalism Network
- IRE – Investigative Reporters and Editors
- EWA – Education Writers Association
- SEJ – Society of Environmental Journalists
- KUNR Reno Public Radio
- NevadaGram Nevada Travel Network
We will not partner with an organization that:
- Advocates or enables the advocation of (including by providing a platform to those who do) bigotry, violence, or hatred. This includes prejudice based on race, religion, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, sexual preference, reproductive choices, age, military status, citizenship, ability or impairment
- Is in conflict with facilitating an informed and empowered citizenry by increasing divisions, in society, decreasing civic and community involvement, and contributing to a lack of trust in relationships
- A board/financial audit committee as required by Sarbanes-Oxley
- Cash management
- Formatted budgets & cash flow statements
- A contingency fund
- A mix of revenue sources: reader revenue, sponsorships, individual giving and institutional giving
- An Annual Plan
Other local and regional publications that may interest you