Pinehaven Fire 100 percent contained

As many as five homes destroyed, three heavily-damaged. No injuries reported.

A house on the west side of Reno burns on November 17, 2020 - photo: Brian Bahouth/the Ally

Updated 5:03 p.m. November 20, 2020:

The Pinehaven Fire is at 100 percent containment. All roads that were previously closed due to the Pinehaven Fire have been reopened, and evacuation orders have been lifted. Police and fire are asking that non-residents please stay away from the affected areas. The Reno Police Department (RPD) will continue to patrol the area.

The Reno Fire Department (RFD) is requesting information that may help them with the investigation of the Pinehaven Fire.

On Tuesday, November 17, at approximately 1 p.m., a fire started on the hillside just south of Pinehaven Road and Sierra Pine Drive. Five homes were destroyed, three homes were heavily damaged, and 21 homes suffered minor damage from the fire.

A regional fire investigation team has finished processing the hillside and has determined the area of origin.

“Our team is now in the process of analyzing collected evidence and interviewing witnesses,” said Tray Palmer, Fire Marshal for the Reno Fire Department. “It may take up to a week before we can release a conclusion, but at this time there is no evidence of malicious intent.”

The fire investigation team consists of certified fire investigators from the Reno Fire Department, Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District, Nevada State Fire Marshal’s office, North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District, and the United States Forest Service.

RFD is asking anyone who witnessed activity in the above area on November 17 between the times of 12 p.m. (Noon) and 1 p.m. to contact them at 775-334-2300.

The Reno Fire Department (RFD) is reporting that 11 engines and one hand crew remain on scene to mop up and patrol the fire. More Pinehaven Fire stats:

  • Burned acreage has been mapped at 512 acres
  • 5 homes destroyed
  • 3 homes heavily damaged
  • 21 homes with minor damage
  • NV Energy has restored power to all customers affected by the Pinehaven Fire
  • Fire crews will remain on scene for the next few days

“This was an incredibly difficult fire,” Reno Fire Chief David Cochran said. “These types of wind-driven fires are almost impossible to stop, and our thoughts are with those residents who have suffered loss due to the Pinehaven Fire. I’d like to thank the men and women of the Reno Fire Department, as well as our regional and state partners, who have assisted in this effort.”

Pavement steams, and a fence catches fire as swirling winds drive a wildfire on the west side of Reno. This is a field next to Cashill Blvd. in Reno – photo: Brian Bahouth/the Ally

Residents and media can also follow the City of Reno, Reno Fire Department, and Reno Police Department Twitter accounts for the latest updates.